9th Day - USFS Volcanic Tours

 Friday, July 15, 2022, USFS Tours of the day…

Today was an interesting day that consisted of lots of geology, forestry, fire management, fuels management, fisheries, ecology and natural resources in general.  I found this day very educative, adventurous, fun and tiring all at the same time. Tiring only because myself and a few others went above and beyond in our hiking, thinking we were still in firefighting, forestry, professional hiking shape as we once were. 

We started the tour at the Lava Flow River with the staff of Unites States Forest Service, the staff included the listed individuals and titles:

Brock Kujawa - Visitor Services Director

Brock McCormick - Wildlife Biologist   

Davey Pearson - Volunteer Career Pathway: Discover Your Forest

Phil Chi - GIS Analyst

Sarah - Soil Scientist

We did our introductions with another before entering the Lava River Cave and took precaution and were briefed due to the temperature we would be entering (42 degrees Fahrenheit).  Another was that there is different species of bats that roost in there and are very protected in this area. We could cause them harm due to the exposures we have with the outside that can affect their lives, we had to brush our feet off and not carry anything in that came from other cave systems. I was glad that it was taken serious for the sake of diseases and other sicknesses the bats are vulnerable to that could make different species endangered. 

 We continued and it was amazing how it was hot outside but very cool inside where you could see your breath.  The darkness the cave was one of my favorites too, when turning off all the lights, there is nothing to be seen in sight, even when putting your hand as close to your face as possible.  I took many photos and videos, this was definitely the best part of the day for me. 

 Next, we toured the Lava Butte Lookout tower that overlooked the Newbury Craters and Lava Beds. We rode all the way up in the shuttle and did another informational discussion to learn about how the lava beds got there, where and how it affected the route of the river and other environmental factors. Another was soil from Sarah and she had a lot of good information about the beds, soil, plants and how life had thrived and was affected in different ways.  Once we were done viewing the area from the top, myself, Agnes and Lance wanted to make the long hike down the mountain ourselves. I told Lance to Lei Lei Lei (Lu Lu Lu) and then I would do my best War hoop and we did, gave everyone a chuckle, we also felt good about it, laughs and yelling can be medicinal, and I definitely felt that.  As we proceeded down the steepest part of the mountain we jogged, and Agnes and I thought it would be a good idea to put some Norther Cree Crow Hop on because it already looked like Lance was Crow Hop Dancing or chicken dancing down the hill and we were stoked to see how good he is even though he no longer pow wows but did in high school. We encouraged him to get back into it.

 Our next stop was the hike to Benham Falls where there is white water rapids, it is fascinating to see how aggressive the river was and the dangers it has on recreational sports to the public. The trails itself is for recreational use however the entire 15+ mile trail is for professional hikers and bikers which I thought was pretty cool because you would come across all ages on that trail whether hiking or biking.  The trail used to be an old logging railroad track and was later turned into a trail for public use, just a little bit of history there.

 It was such a long day I slept all the way back to camp, the exhaustion of heat was real while being intensive, over the top out of shape hikers ever lol.  It felt really good though and was glad I pushed myself and had the support of my peers. Reflecting back to how the day went I was inspired by the USFS staff and their expertise in their fields. My take away on them was that they all needed to start somewhere whether it was cleaning toilets doing camp crew, support staff in the offices and your usual technician and now they are so full of knowledge and evolved into experts in their field.

 At the end of the day I was very emotional, I really am missing my babies, my father-in-law sent me awesome videos and picture of my babies at Silverwood and Triple Play. I know they’re having a good time, but I can never get used to being away from them but I’m also glad they are all getting their time in with another and that eases my heart, as well as Lance and Agnes keeping close to my side while I was going through a tough time. 

Good Night, 2 more nights and I’ll be on my way back to my little cubs :,)













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7th Day - Destination, Deschutes National Forest

5th Day - Back in the Valley

4th Day - My Temporary Departure